The view is unlike anything you’ve ever seen as you make your way to Newport, crossing over several bridges in order to get there. Sailboats line the various harbors. Small islands and lighthouses look so perfect and picturesque as if God Himself placed them exactly as he wanted them, one by one.
The downtown, harbor streets of Newport are loaded with all sorts of yummy treats, fine dining, and countless shops and local boutiques. In other words, it’s the dream place for people like me to go (foodies + shopaholics). Local seafood and farm to table style restaurants line the cobblestone streets and harbor side Newport Wharf area along the pier making it the most beautiful spot to roam around and get wonderfully lost.
Both the Cliff Walk and Ocean Drive are where thousands of tourists flock every year to capture some of New England’s most spectacular ocean views. While Newport is not known for being a relaxing beach town, it’s rocky cliffs, cool breezes, and luxurious mansions make it a must-see location as there are few other cities in America that come even close in comparison!
While some mansions are owned by today’s wealthy, the most well-known mansions are those you can tour as they are rich in history from the United State’s 1920’s era. Several movies have been filmed in these mansions including The Great Gatsby (one of my favorite movies!!) which was filmed at Rosecliff Mansion in Newport. How cool is that?!
If you are ever interested in visiting Newport, I would definitely recommend you hitting the Cliff Walk and Ocean Drive areas. They are a must-see for sure! Then, spend your evenings wandering around Newport’s downtown wharf areas for some spectacular shopping and dining (+ some of the best ice cream!!) Trust me, it’s going to satisfy any foodie craving!
TOP FIVE PLACES TO VISIT IN NEWPORT, RHODE ISLAND
1. The Newport Cliff Walk – Miles and miles long of beautiful waterfront views.
2. The Breakers – A giant mansion you must actually see to believe!
3. Fort Adams State Park – An awesome fort you can explore along with amazing views–especially at sunset! Tip: get some Chipotle to go and bring it with you to watch the sunset!
4. Ocean Drive Historic District – A beautiful scenic drive. Rent a scooter and it’s even better!!
5. Newport Historic District – Lots of cute shops and restaurants close to the water and on cobblestone streets! Also, the best ice cream place is here–Kilwin’s Ice cream. Get the toasted coconut and you’ll thank me later.